Cancun offers the opportunity to visit the most spectacular archaeological sites in Mexico without having to travel long distances.
Take a trip back in time and learn the culture of a fascinating world: the Maya.
– Ruinas del Rey (Ruins of The King): The original name is unknown, was named after the discovery of a sculpture representing a human face decorated with an elaborate headdress, which probably portrays a character of high rank.
Because of its location to both the Caribbean Sea and the Nichupte lagoon, it is possible to have functioned as the center of a small city devoted to maritime trade and fishing. Today it is visited by local and international tourism and has a wide variety of birds and reptiles.
Location: On the mile 17.5 of Boulevard Kukulcan, Cancun.
– El Meco: it is named after the nickname of a local resident who became associated with the ruins. Until the arrival of the Spanish enclave work as a strategic business and assumed importance in the regional economy by participating in a commercial network and inland marine lagoon which is integrated in all populations of the Yucatan Peninsula. It has the tallest building and important part of the conurbation of Cancun and the largest number of civil and religious buildings. Corresponds to the Early Classic period, AD 300-600.
Location: Seven miles from the junction between Bonampak avenue hotel zone and the road to Punta Sam.
– Chichen Itza: For its size, symmetry and astrological significance, was named one of the New 7 Wonders of the World, as well as a World Heritage Site. Home to the pyramid of Kukulkan, a huge stone calendar attached to the ball field larger in Mesoamerica, a Mayan astronomic observatory, the Temple of the Nuns, the Temple of the Warriors and the Sacred Cenote. In the evening you can enjoy an incredible show called Chichen Itza Light and Sound. In addition, during the Spring Equinox on 21 March and the Autumn Equinox on September 22, you can see the body of Kukulcan serpent descending from the top of the main pyramid El Castillo. This effect symbolizes the descent of God Kukulcan (bird-snake) to the ground, and meant the beginning and end of the agricultural cycle.
Location: 188 miles to Cancun in the Yucatan Peninsula.
– Ek Balam: its buildings, temples and palaces are located inside a walled area, which proves to have been sacred center and seat of power, where the rulers and priests lived. Today this archaeological site is positioned as the most recent in the region, in the Yucatan Peninsula ..
Location: 145 kilometers from Cancún.
– Coba: Wrapped in the deep green of the rainforest, the ancient Mayan city stands between five quiet lagoons. His name signified in Maya water stirred by wind. It flourished between 600-900 AD, and at the end of the Classic period had already become a Maya city-state of great importance with a population over 50,000. By archaeological discoveries, there are many links with the great Maya city of Tikal (Guatemala). In its heyday extended over 70 km and there was wielded economic control of the region through a complex network of roads. It is home to the tallest pyramid in the north of the peninsula with 42 meters high.
Location: 165 miles from Cancun town west of the archaeological zone d.
– Tulum, Mayan walled city of the empire, has a beachfront dream. It was an important center of worship for the “god descended” and a thriving trading port until the arrival of the Spanish in 1518.
Reached its peak by the year 1200 AD of the post-Classic Maya.
His name was Zama prehispanic, “dawn” in Maya and Tulum now and that means wall, fence or barrier. It is possible to have used this name to refer to the city when it was already in ruins.
The Castle is the most outstanding building for its location, the Temple of the Descending God, the Temple of the frescoes, murals and adorned with a reproduction of codices, the House of Columns and Uinic Halach House.
Location: 132 miles from Cancun on the beautiful Caribbean coast.
During your vacation in Cancun, not to be missed the most impressive and mysterious archaeological sites in Mexico. Come and enjoy the history and culture of a fascinating world and not be beaten.
In Cancun, in addition, find hotels, restaurants and entertainment’s most exclusive country.